Yoruba Handwritten Character Recognition using Freeman Chain Code and K-Nearest Neighbor Classifier
How to cite:
- S. Gunter and H. Bunke. “Ensembles of Classifiers for Handwritten Word Recognition,” International Journal of Document Analysis and Recognition, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 224-232, 2003.
- S. Theodoridis and K. Koutroumbas, Pattern Recognition, 4th ed. San Diego: Academic Press, 2009.
- N. Arica and F. Yarman-Vural, “An Overview of Character Recognition Focused on Off-Line Handwriting,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part C (Applications and Reviews), vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 216-233, 2001.
- J. F. Ajao, R. G. Jimoh, and S. O. Olabiyisi, “Handwritten Address Destination Recognition using Neural Networks,” Journal of Science, Technology, Mathematics and Education, vol. 9, no. 1, pp.70-91, 2012.
- A. Ibraheem and O. Odejobi, “A System for the Recognition of Handwritten Yoruba Characters,” AGIS Ethiopia, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria, 2011. [Online]. Available: http://www.slideshare.net/aflat/a-system-for-the-recognition-of-handwritten-yoruba-characters.
- A. A. Desai, “Gujarati Handwritten Numeral Optical Character Reorganization through Neural Network,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 2582–2589, 2010.
- H. Bunke, “Recognition of Cursive Roman Handwriting: Past, Present and Future,” in Proc. of Seventh International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, Edinburgh, 2003, pp. 448–459.
- C. Liu and C. Y. Suen, “A New Benchmark on the Recognition of Handwritten Bangla and Farsi Numeral Characters,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 3287-3295, 2009.
- D. Impedovo and G. Pirlo, “Zoning Methods for Handwritten Character Recognition: A Survey,” Pattern Recognition, Handwriting Recognition, and Other PR Applications, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 969–981, 2014.
- M. Cheriet, N. Kharma, C-L. Liu, and C. Y. Suen, Character Recognition Systems: A Guide for Students and Practitioners. New York: John Wiley, November 2007.
- O. D. Femwa, “Development of a Writer-Independent Online, Handwritten Character Recognition System Using Modified Hybrid Neural Network Model,” PhD. Thesis, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso. 2012.
- F. O. Deborah, O. E. Olusayo, and F. O. Alade, “Development of a Feature Extraction Technique for Online Character Recognition System,” Innovative Systems Design and Engineering, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 10-23, 2012
- J. O. Adigun, O. D. Femwa, E. O. Omidiora, and S. O. Olabiyisi, “Optimized Features for Genetic Based Neural Network Model for Online Character Recognition,” British Journal of Mathematics & Computer Science, vol. 14, no. 6, pp.1-13, 2016.
- W. Wang, “Optical Character Recognition, Using K-Nearest Neighbors,” arXiv:1411.1442 [cs.CV], Nov. 2014.
- I. S. Shimasaan and E. M. Bukohwo, “An Artificial Network Model for Tiv Character Recognition,” Journal of Emerging trends in Computing and Information Sciences, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 573-583, 2015.
- R. Siddhartha and M. Saravanan. “Handwritten Character Recognition using KNN,” International Journal of Advance Research and Innovative Ideas in Education, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 2395-4396, 2017.
- W. L. Wang and M. H. Tang, “A Normalization Process to Standardize Handwriting Data Collected from Multiple Resources for Recognition,” Procedia Computer Science, vol. 61, pp. 402-409, 2015.
- N. Azizi, N. Farah, and M. Sellami, “Off-line Handwritten Word Recognition System using Ensemble of Classifier Selection and Features Fusion,” Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 141-150, 2010.
- G. Katiyar, A. Katiyar, and S. Mehfuz, “Offline Handwritten Character Recognition System using Support Vector Machine,” American Journal of Neural Networks and Applications, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 22-28, 2017.
- M. Oladele, E. Omidiora, A. Temilola, and A. A. Sobowale, “An Offline Yoruba Handwritten Character Recognition System using Support Vector Machine,” International Conference of Sciences, Engineering & Environmental Technology (ICONSEET), vol. 2, no. 13, pp. 95-103, 2017.
- J. F. Ajao, S. O. Olabiyisi, E. O. Omidiora, and O. O. Okediran, “Hidden Markov Model Approach for Offline Yoruba Handwritten Word Recognition,” British Journal of Mathematics & Computer Science, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1-20, 2016.
- Omnigot, “The Yoruba Alphabets and Its Pronunciation,” [Online]. Available: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/yoruba.htm
- J. F. Ajao, S. O. Olabiyisi, O. O. Elijah, and O. O. Odetunji, “Yoruba Handwriting Word Recognition Quality Evaluation of Preprocessing Attributes using Information Theory Approach,” International Journal of Applied Information Systems, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 18-23, 2015.
- A. Bamgbose, Yoruba Orthography. Ibadan University Press, 1976.
- H. J. Vala and A. Baxi, "A Review on Otsu Image Segmentation Algorithm," International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Engineering and Technology (IJARCET), vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 96-106, 2013.
- E. Bribiesca, “A New Chain Code,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 235–251, 1999.
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to JTSiskom journal and Department of Computer Engineering, Universitas Diponegoro as publisher of the journal. Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms, and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations.
JTSiskom journal and Department of Computer Engineering, Universitas Diponegoro and the Editors make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in JTSiskom journal are the sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.
The Copyright Transfer Form can be downloaded here: [Copyright Transfer Form JTSiskom]. The copyright form should be signed originally and send to the Editorial Office in the form of original mail, scanned document or fax :
Eko Didik Widianto (Editor-in-Chief)
Editorial Office of Jurnal Teknologi dan Sistem Komputer
Department of Computer Engineering, Universitas Diponegoro
Jl. Prof. Soedarto, Kampus Undip Tembalang, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia 50275